Saturday, June 15, 2013

Important Part

Identifying Important Part


Activity to introduce Important Part
Give students 5 minutes to draw and/or write about everything they can remember about their weekend.
After 5 minutes, have students work in small groups to share their weekend stories. Give students a few minutes to discuss and share.
Next, have each student take 3 sticky notes (my students always have a pad of sticky notes on hand during reader's workshop.
Students have to choose only 3 things from their weekend they think are the most important or exciting things to tell the entire class. Give students a few minutes to think and write and/or draw.
Give students a few minutes to share their 3 important events from the weekend or go right into sharing with the class.
When I have students share with the class, they have to pick one of their 3 sticky notes - the most important event! As students share, I prompt them to be able to explain why they picked that event. When students share, I have them come to the front of the class and place their sticky note on the white board.
Class discussion - Why did they pick those events? Why not share when and what they ate for breakfast or brushing their teeth?

Read Aloud
After the activity, I pick a familiar book that I have already read to the kids. Most of the time, when I introduce new reading responses, I use a book that we have already read. I emphasize to my students that rereading books is a Strong Reader strategy. I have my students pick a comfy spot on the floor to sit and listen with their sticky notes. As I read, they will write down events from the story that they think are important - one idea/event per sticky note.
After the story, we go through the same process as above.
Students share their sticky notes.
Students discuss and explain why they chose those ideas/events.
Narrow down their ideas to only 3 sticky notes.
Complete reading response independently or with a reading buddy (teacher choice).


No comments:

Post a Comment